No matter where you look nowadays there are endless articles warning against the supposedly healthy dog treats. We all know that chocolate can be harmful to pets, and we are discovering a huge long list of what to avoid. My dogs simply adore the hide chews that you can purchase from most pet stores. The warnings against this finally got the better of me and I have refrained from purchasing any treats at all.
Of course, we are now in the realms of asking ourselves what is a healthy treat. I have recently taken to making my own, the following is a typical example of fun and healthy treats that you can make yourself!
This is a terrific recipe for healthy dog treats using peanut butter.
- 2 cups flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (or almond butter if you pet is allergic to peanut butter)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
How to make DIY Peanut Butter Dog Treats at Home
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Add flour and baking powder in a bowl and mix.
- Now combine peanut butter and milk in another bowl and mix.
- Add the wet mixture to dry mixture, and mix them well together.
- Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead thoroughly.
- Roll out so dough is 1/4-inch in thickness and then cut out shapes or use a dog bone cookie cutter.
- Place cut outs on a baking sheet, lightly greased and bake 20 minutes. Check on them frequently as they can burn easily.
- Cool on a rack.
- Watch your dog devour with glee.
This really turned out well; and the treats have kept for two weeks in a zip top plastic bag and still look great and our dog Toby still loves them. I didn’t refrigerate and they have kept. I am thinking about adding something else to this the next time I make them, any suggestions for another flavor to add to this simple to make, homemade dog treat?
Another great recipe that the dogs go wild for is homemade liver cake. With the increased incidents of cancer and different diseases the choice of minimising the amount of potentially harmful ingredients that are in some common pet shop purchased treats is a strong case. The following is a really popular and easy recipe that I use.
Liver Cake Recipe For Dogs
1 lb (450g) liver (lambs or pigs)
1 lb (450g) granary flour
2 cloves of garlic (optional)
One teaspoon of oil
Dash of milk
Liquidise liver with eggs, milk, oil and garlic in blender. Add to flour and mix. Put into a microwave dish and cook on full power for about six-ten minutes.
The cake should bounce back when pressed lightly, when cooked.
Cut the cake into slices and freeze. Take out of freezer when required.
If you prefer a video to watch this is a great tutorial
I think this is such an important part of raising fit and disease free dogs that we should all consider the above examples of a really healthy dog treats alternatives for our loved ones.
Have you any recipes of your own that you would like to share? Please write in the comments box below or share on our facebook page. Lets help our dogs and keep them healthy for longer!