A good makeup application all begins with good makeup brushes. Yes you can buy them, but if you plan to do this then expect to pay a hefty price for them. Or, if you decide to buy cheap ones then be prepared to replace them often, and don’t expect exceptional results with your makeup application.
Now even better is if you make your own. The best hair for doing this is human hair. Here is a video that is going to show you how to do this, but you might want to ask permission first from your potential hair donner.
Foundation that you can make yourself:
Usually when we think about do it yourself makeup we think about it as only being maybe lip color and eye color that is a possibility, but this is not the case! You can actually make your own foundation and its organic too.
image source: scratch mommy
- 1.5oz Almond Oil (or unrefined, raw, organic carrier oil of your choice; learn more about carrier oils here and purchase them here)
- 1oz Shea Butter (organic, raw, unrefined shea butter like this)
- .5oz Cocoa Butter (organic, raw, unrefined cocoa butter like this)
- .5oz Beeswax (this is by far my favorite beeswax)
- 1/8t Vitamin E (make sure it’s not from GMO sources; this is my favorite Vitamin E)
- .5oz Zinc Oxide (make sure it is uncoated, non-nano, and not micronized; purchase the zinc oxide here or you can purchase a small amount from me HERE)
- Cocao Powder (organic cocao (or cocoa) powder like this)
- Cinnamon (organic cinnamon like this)
You can visit scratch mommy for the full instructions on how to make this as well as some great resources for the ingredients.
image source:yum universe
Yes you can make your own blush from all natural resources and the coloring comes from beets
Beets give a natural, healthy glow to pretty much all shades of skin without the creepy dangers of chemical-laden makeup. Give it a try!
Small glass lip gloss container(s) (recycle if you can, I use old Burt’s Bees containers.)
Glass measuring cup or something similar
and coffee grinder (optional, only needed for making your own beet powder)
Fine mesh piece of fabric like muslin
(you can easily make your own with a dehydrator and a coffee grinder. Read below.)
1 tsp 100% Pure Lanolin (shea butter works well, too)
Make your own beet powder
If you have a , and you would like to make your own beet root powder, it is incredibly easy to do. Using a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife, slice your beet into very thin strips and lay on the dehydrator screen. Place in a dehydrator set to a temp of about 100°F and dehydrate for 8-10 hours. Overnight is perfect.
For the very detailed instructions visit yum universe
Do It Yourself Powder is No Problem at all:
image source: they smell
Making this powder is really quick and simple and you are going to love the way it looks and feels
What you need:
- cacao or cocoa powder (assuming you want it tinted)
- peppermint essential oil (optional but divine)
check out they smell for the easy to follow instructions for making this great face powder.
This is one diy makeup product that you are going to want to try. If you are sick of buying mascara that ends up clumping then this one is for you…
image source: butternutrition
DIY Mascara Ingredients:
Visit butter nutrition for where to find the supplies that you need and how to make this great mascara
Now if you want to make your own eye shadow this video will get you started
Finally, lets not forget about our lips…and this video says it all
So there you have a good selection of diy makeup ideas that are cost effective, lots of fun and probably a whole lot better for your skin. If you are really interested in doing what is good for your skin, then be sure to check out our post on deodorant.